Freddie Gibbs - Back Home (feat. Zeds Dead)

Started by Jordan, Mar 1, 2016, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Mar 1, 2016

Freddie Gibbs’ ability to cold crush a beat with nothing more than his gravelly voice should be beyond argument at this point. The Gary, IN rapper has strung together an impressive run of mixtapes, EPs and albums over the past few years, building an uncut raw sound that has elevated him to one of hip-hop’s premier street voices. On a new track though, Gangsta Gibbs makes the unlikely plunge into crossover territory as he collaborates with Canadian electronic duo Zeds Dead on “Back Home.”

Fear not though, Freddie purists, as the mean mugging MC barely diverts from his usually relaxed, precise flow, rattling off rhymes here without conforming too much to EDM tastes. On the track, Gibbs raps, “b---- I’m smoking on that Schwarzenegger, that Terminator / I put meat and potatoes on tables, from flipping yayo / My amigo got 53 acres, a regulator / Got big nuts I said ‘f--- the world, I might impregnate her.'”

The track is the first release off Zeds Deads upcoming album which will be the first from the duo’s new Deadbeats label and is set to drop in the middle of the year. As for Gibbs, his November release Shadow of a Doubt is still in rotation, and he is set to embark on a 38-city North American tour in support of it starting March 20 in Santa Ana, California. Listen to “Back Home” above and check out the full list of Gibbs dates.

Read More: Freddie Gibbs and Zeds Dead Bend Genre on "Back Home" - XXL

ClauDiu likes this.
    ClauDiu likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  2. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Mar 1, 2016
    was just about to post this, think u got the feat. reversed there tho.. this Zeds song not Freddies

anyways, dammit. i really hope this isn't an indication of what their new album's going to sound like... i want that classic zeds dead production, this is rather... bland imo, and it's noticeably missing their signature synths and bass

Jordan likes this.
    Jordan likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  3. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Mar 1, 2016
    I did that on purpose so that this song gains more attention but it looks like the Freddie Gibbs fans are sleeping lol.

This track was good for what it is (I don't know too much about Zeds Dead's earlier work so I gotta pass on the now vs. then comparison). Freddie Gibbs did a nice job imo.

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  4. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Mar 1, 2016
    I figured haha, I'm just nitpicking cause I was disappointed with this.

And as far as their regular stuff, this is about like what Skrillex did with Game. They're dubstep/electronic artists primarily... and they dropped their entire style with this

Jordan likes this.
    Jordan likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  5. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Mar 1, 2016
    I wouldn't mind it so much, I'm just worried that this is representative of the whole album being the lead single

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024