Started by Ordinary Joel, Apr 9, 2017, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Apr 9, 2017
    https://theringer.com/xxxtentacion-recent-release-from-jail-46e7381da141

Micah Peters
    Staff Writer, The Ringer
    Apr 6

After the SoundCloud rapper’s recent release from jail, he remains unremorseful for his violent behavior. Why do fans defend him?

[​IMG]

You may have noticed in your internet travels last week that a rapper named XXXTentacion was released from jail. You may have read that immediately after his release last Wednesday, he went on Miami’s 103.5 to discuss three upcoming projects: 17, I Need Jesus (I kid you not), and Members Only Vol. 3. And also to call Drake a b----:

"He is not a man. I think he’s a b----, that’s a b---- move. Especially when I was in jail facing life, you know what I’m saying? If Drake would’ve came to my bond hearing, you know what I’m saying, that would’ve made my f---ing day. If he would have showed that he’s a hospitable person and that he’s really in this s--- for the culture, rather than being a … taking my s---, running off with it and then putting it on his album, then he would’ve gotten my kudos, he would’ve gotten my respect. I would’ve let him hop on the remix and take 100 percent royalty rate. I would’ve done it."

Another thing that XXXTentacion would theoretically do for Drake: get Drake’s name tattooed on his a--- cheek. But only if Drake could out-rap him, he said Tuesday.

For context, because some is desperately needed: Several weeks before Drake’s More Life “playlist” was released, something familiar happened: The Boy previewed a new song that sounded awfully close in craft and delivery to another rapper’s, once again spurring (fair, possibly accurate) accusations of biting and wave-riding. It seemed Aubrey Drake Graham, with great malice aforethought, had once again siphoned the talents of a less-well-known but burgeoning rapper and cosplayed with their signature sound like Rap Game Kirby. The song in question was “KMT,” on which he rushes out free-association bars in single gasps, with a familiarly nasal and high-pitched tone.

If “KMT” was the heist, then the mark is a smallish, twitchy 19-year-old from South Florida’s Broward County, a SoundCloud rapper named XXXTentacion (pronounced X X X tent-ah-see-ohn). Born Jahseh Onfroy, he has a handful of tiny, hastily considered face tattoos — the words “BAD VIBES” are written across his eyelids, a broken heart is scrawled under his left eye, “numb” is in cursive beneath the other — and another, larger one of an elephant on his neck. You may recognize these (along with a few others), his sallow skin, and tufts of fuzzy twists atop his head — half bleached, half not — from his mugshot.

That mugshot also now serves as cover art for his biggest hit, “Look at Me!,” released on SoundCloud in 2015. It is, even for a given measure of trash, trash. There’s a boom-in-the-shot quality to the song that’s punkish and even refreshing if you choose to read that much into it, but the levels are all over the place, the mix is as if the song were recorded in a rusted oil barrel, and the second line — the very second one — is “can’t keep my d-ck in my pants.” Oddly enough, it’s also … exciting? (Still, that revelation occurred to me after a lot of listens.) And, though Drake denied grafting his flow during a recent DJ Semtex interview, you don’t need to squint too hard to see the resemblance.

There’s a breaking point in SoundCloud surfing — or, rather, a buying-in point — where you loosen your grip on pretense and begin to consider the music on its own terms, appraising it within its own scarcely existent rules. It’s like a viewer’s willing suspension of disbelief while watching a film. And I’ve found that it’s only within this vacuum that XXXTentacion’s music can work.

Skipping refinement in favor of purposefully ramping up distortion does bottle the raw, knock-down-drag-out energy of a mosh pit at a live show, and it makes you question, if briefly, whether rap is even listenable at low volumes. With self-described eclectic taste, XXXTentacion does display a proclivity for different styles, though most of them are the ones we usually talk about with regard to your angsty neighborhood AutoPlay SoundCloud rapper: futuristic (is it just “present” now?) bedroom R&B, slurry pop-leaning trap, soul-bearing emo rap that is equally slurry, the like.

The sampling choices he makes further point to some sort of dexterity, and they are different enough to be interesting. “Look at Me!” rips and pitches down a vocal sample from a Mala record made in 2007. He told Genius that his dream collaborations are with the Fray, Kings of Leon, and Lorde. A fireside chat on his SoundCloud page is set to “Head Above the Water” by Palace, a British alt-rock-blues band that I’d never heard of, and now might kind of love.

He’s also somewhat like early-2010s Odd Future in that some of the things he says seem spat out purely for shock value, or because they just feel good to say aloud. Each problematic line is delivered with a wink or annotated with a wry laugh, wading in just far enough to be able to back out quickly if need be. It might be fairly easy to hold XXXTentacion up at arm’s length and determine that youthful irreverence must be what’s happening here, but that doesn’t really hold up to any amount of scrutiny.

Tyler the Creator is a bit of a dickhead, too, sure, but unlike the rapper known colloquially as X, the most legal trouble that Tyler’s ever landed in was a 2014 SXSW arrest for “inciting a riot.” X, however, saw his popularity skyrocket while doing a nearly six-month stretch in Broward County Jail after pleading no contest on gravely serious charges: home invasion robbery and aggravated battery with a firearm. He’s now serving six years of probation on a withheld conviction, but he’s due in court again on May 1 for, among other alarming things, domestic battery by strangulation and aggravated battery of a pregnant (PREGNANT) woman, his then-girlfriend, to which he pleaded not guilty.

An honest conversation about XXXTentacion can’t be had without broaching the topic of whether art and artist should be considered separately. This inevitably leads to a different and murkier exploration of whether all crimes should be weighted the same in that consideration. While I, and hopefully most people, would find strangling a pregnant woman to be appreciably more heinous than normal aggravated assault against, say, not a pregnant woman, X has cultivated a massive online following that seems to disagree. There’s a good chance they might even deny he’s done anything wrong. The core of this following tends to find his mounting list of charged transgressions either totally fabricated to impede his success or incidental to the enjoyment of his music. You’re either all in or you’re all out.

In an April 2016 episode of the No Jumper podcast (Adam22, the host, is XXXTentacion’s sometime-manager), X shared his reading of what fandom means. It sounds a lot like blind, credulous fealty, which, now that I think about it, isn’t as far from the truth of hero worship as I’d like it to be.

“If you’re gonna be a fan, that’s different than being someone that supports me. If you’re a fan that means you abide by everything that I believe in, and that you support what I do to the fullest extent. … I have a cult fan base; I don’t have a weak a--- fan base.”

Later in this interview, X excitedly fumbles through a graphic story of beating a fellow inmate to a pulp for his (possibly charged) staring, and smearing the blood from the carnage on his own face. It’s told in oddly specific detail, but only so that you, the listener, can appreciate that he’s past that point in his life. (While recounting this story, he’s the only one in the room not wearing a shirt, which, I don’t know — it seems like an important detail.)

X went back to jail after this. And in the midst of his ongoing struggle with recidivism, calls for the powers that be to “#FREEX” galloped around the internet, making their way from word of mouth to display names to Instagram captions. This is standard fare for music fandom, as any one of the three different pieces of “Free Gucci” merch I own — or Louisville QB Lamar Jackson shouting out “Free Kodak” after atomizing FSU on national television last year — would tell you. These calls are rooted partly in valid fear of artists and their music being lost to us, as well as in outrage over mass incarceration rates heaped disproportionately on young black and brown men. But because Gucci’s rap sheet is impossibly long, and because the warrant for Kodak Black’s arrest looks especially reprehensible, these calls should also, at least partially, be made in jest.

Fans trying to wrest their respective stars from the foul clutches of judicial accountability obviously isn’t a new thing. Before X, Kodak, or Gucci it was R. Kelly. Before R. Kelly, as Marc Hogan at Pitchfork points out, it was 2Pac. Before Pac, it was Dr. Dre. And this bargaining isn’t exclusive to black artists — when David Bowie died, talking about Lori Maddox was necessary, though it felt inconvenient. This pattern also isn’t exclusive to music; see Nate Parker, Casey Affleck, Mel Gibson, Terry “get nekkid” Richardson, and on and on.

Some of these cases still exist only as allegations or were settled somewhere away from public view. But — and I’m not telling you how to think here, I’m just asking a question — how much does it cost you to entertain the possibility that your fave might’ve, you know, actually done the thing?

Let us consider, for a moment, that ya mans is guilty as h---. Whether or not you continue to listen to his music becomes a question of whether you can compartmentalize, unless you take no issue with gender violence. Alternatively, the rolling landscape of SoundCloud is vast and full of subgenres, and you conceivably could find something else, maybe even just as good or better — from an artist who at least faces fewer criminal allegations. As a matter of fact, there are at least three other major music streaming services, and a few other less major ones, each with an approaching-infinite number of digital crates to thumb through. And in those digital crates, there are — and again, I’m just spitballing here — albums and songs by artists who may serve better as a cause célèbre.

With such an impossible amount of good music being made out there, it’s especially weird to not only listen to XXXTentacion, but also to campaign for his freedom. Innocent black men get knocked over bogus charges all the time, but to quote Huey Freeman from The Boondocks, “every famous n----- that gets arrested is not Nelson Mandela.”

Apr 26, 2024
  2. AceVentura

AceVentura Always got an ace up my sleeve.

Apr 9, 2017
    f--- extension cord it's digital dash flow not Look at me with stealing Games holy water for sample.

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  3. Rodamon

Apr 9, 2017
    Agreed, this guy can rot in jail

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  4. LogzRoberts

Apr 9, 2017
    I'm an X fan but I don't like this article for different reasons. I could get behind it if the writer didn't come off as a passive aggressive Drake stan that's catching feelings. I agree with the "not every famous person is innocent" part and I don't even know if X's innocent himself, but how could this man stan Gucci Mane and get upset with X?

Apr 26, 2024
  5. 83837477

83837477 Test Account

Apr 9, 2017
    CB and Dex hit b------s 2 but they goat

Lil Squeed likes this.
    Lil Squeed likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  6. Packman

Apr 9, 2017
    I hate this article lol

X seems to be a cringe worthy 19 year old depressed Cudi esque b----, but when the writer starts saying all his fans can dig through Spotify or other streaming services to find music that's not created by a monster I laughed.

Michael Jackson is one of my favorite artists, and he very well might have been guilty of some of the allegations he faced. But I love the music, the talented musician. I dont even know the person

Apr 26, 2024
  7. Jacuzzi

Apr 9, 2017
    I agree xxxtennisshoes doesn't deserve much sympathy, but the message of this article should've been conveyed a little less subjective. Writer is too one-sided for my liking.

Apr 26, 2024
  8. Big Mitch

Big Mitch You never made me ran once

Apr 9, 2017
    Apparently the girl that got him locked up replied to my tweet the other day that didn't even include her or XXXTentacion

I'm bad a---, I know

Ordinary Joel, Skippy and Sqrt Sqrt like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Skippy and Sqrt Sqrt like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  9. FBG President

FBG President Super super

Apr 9, 2017
    It's like the writer tried to keep his stanning out of the first two paragraphs then just went full steam ahead with the X hate and Drizzy defense.

Humble out now tho

Apr 26, 2024
  10. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Apr 9, 2017
    tl;dr but I know I disagree with everything it has to say

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  11. Lonny Breaux

Lonny Breaux I think my nuts look better on her face

Apr 9, 2017
    I'm sorry, but did XXXTENTACION already lose? Oh, that's right. His debut mixtape isn't even out yet. In fact, Drake's best album which he will never top, Take Care, came out over 5 years ago. Does not having a proper mixtape out count as a loss? Is that what all of you Drake stans are saying? Because if you're saying that I can assure you that you're wrong. ---'s songs are all still gaining hype right now and he has been the best underground soundcloud rapper in The Game for how many years now? He's up against an industry plant named Aubrey Graham who just happens to have a lead in hype because he's been culture vulturing for how many years now? But you know what? He still f---ing sucks. XXXTENTACION created this entire sound, has Billboard trending with Look at Me!, and had some of the best songs of last year. All while unjustly locked up in jail, and now he's out. He made soundcloud rap listenable. Oh look at that, Pitchfork gave the new XXXTENTACION mixtape an 8.6 Best New Music, while they panned Drake's new "playlist" album with a 7.8 haha. All of you Drake stans need to stop posting how great Drake is and stay in your own section. O wait. I almost have a feeling all of the Drake threads are 14 year old white kids in suburbia who only listen to Started From the Bottom or Hotline Bling on Vevo or YouTube and don't even have more than 300 songs in their iTunes library. f--- you, be good at something in YOUR life and then maybe try to stan Drake, like I give a f---. It's so easy to spot out these threads now. Always doing stupid s--- like saying Drake's the GOAT, or The Weeknd didn't make all of the good Drake songs. Why don't you guys try to be good posters? Just for once? For once in your life try to make a post like this. That's just you Drake stans, you're always right at getting it wrong. You are nothing.

Apr 26, 2024
  12. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Apr 9, 2017
    Agree w title and didnt read the article

f--- that moron

Ordinary Joel and Rodamon like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  13. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Apr 9, 2017
    because gucci didn't beat the s--- out of a pregnant woman

Apr 26, 2024
  14. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Apr 9, 2017
    Jezus christ did xtencion do that? Then indeed let him rot in jail

Apr 26, 2024
  15. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Apr 9, 2017
    X haters getting cringier than his stans what a time to be alive

Ordinary Joel and Proto like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Proto like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  16. JIGGA MANE

Apr 9, 2017
    Yikes imagine hating someone because you stan someone else

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  17. SWERVO

SWERVO big cuntry's alias

Apr 9, 2017
    X still trash.

Apr 26, 2024
  18. Jacuzzi

Apr 9, 2017
    Tbf it was proven she wasnt pregnant

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  19. theg

theg got that pma

Apr 9, 2017
    this changes everything

Apr 26, 2024
  20. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

Apr 9, 2017
    he's 5'5 and 115 lbs, he already lost in life.

give him a f---ing break guys

Apr 26, 2024