Brakence - Hypochondriac

Started by jankland, Dec 2, 2022, in Music Add to Reading List

1. jankland

jankland In My Cringe Arc.

Dec 2, 2022

Doubt many other people care about hyperpop in here besides a few so imma treat this like a Marsh thread where I talk to myself!

Ordinary Joel, Ricky, Winter and 2 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Ricky, Winter and 2 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Dec 2, 2022
    Honestly, most of us are talking to ourselves these days lol. Can’t wait to check this out when I get the chance. I’ll try to expedite my listening so the thread is more active lol

Ordinary Joel and jankland like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. jankland

Dec 2, 2022
    On first listen I think I still like his previous project more but I need more time with this one, this album has a pet peeve of mine which is having skits in the middle of an already long song, some of these long songs also drag slightly too long which isn't a huge complaint cause I had the same feeling with venus fly trap when that came out and once I got used to the structure that criticism went away.

You can tell he put more time into this album compared to his last though, it's much more experimental in the structure and shifting tempos of songs which is going to take some getting used to.

But even with those criticisms aside this still has some of my favorite songs by him, a lot of them being the singles (argyle, cbd, venus fly trap, caffeine, and bugging which are all slappers btw) but besides those I really enjoyed teeth, stung, and deepfake. Especially deepfake. The second halfs of introvert and preparation exercise 7 are also quite good.

Ordinary Joel and Ripper Roo like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. jankland

Dec 2, 2022
    I should add that I'm a sucker for good transitions and this album has quite of few of those!

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Dec 3, 2022
    Bump

Mar 29, 2024
  6. jankland

Dec 3, 2022
    Update to my review, I like every song now.

If I find myself replaying it more it could possibly buzzer beater bumping an album off my top 5 for the year

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Dec 3, 2022
    That’s good to hear. I still haven’t listened, I’ve been too busy listening to Metro Boomin’s new shoegaze album

Mar 29, 2024
  8. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Dec 3, 2022
    Not the kind of thing I’d usually listen to, but I checked out the first two tracks and I f--- with it. Will listen in full later.

Mar 29, 2024
  9. jankland

Dec 3, 2022
    I haven't checked out the Metro Boomin tape, from what I understand it's like if DJ Khaled made a good album?

Mar 29, 2024
  10. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Dec 3, 2022
    Yeah basically. It’s mostly trap and psychedelic trap. One of the best first listens I’ve had in a while. Great to vibe to and turn your brain off. I’m sure if I hyper-analyzed it I could find issues, but that just ruins music for me. I don’t like rating albums anymore

Mar 29, 2024
  11. jankland

Dec 3, 2022
    Rating most things feels worthless to me nowadays, I know I'll end up giving most things like an 8 so who gives a s--- I'll just say I really like it unless I'm specifically asked lol.

Imma save the Metro album though! I only heard the weeknd song.

Mar 29, 2024
  12. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Dec 3, 2022
    Same here. I gave most albums I heard this year anywhere from a 5 to a 7 so honestly rating seems useless. I’m not Fantano lol unless something is really bad or just f---ing boring, I end up giving it a good score anyway. I recently came to this realization that rating music was making it feel like a chore to me, causing me to listen to music way less, so I stopped and it feels better that way.

The Weeknd song was my favorite one but I’m pretty biased because The Weeknd is my favorite singer and 21 Savage is one of my favorite rappers. The album is mostly Travis Scott, 21 Savage, and Future with some other features sprinkled in here and there so if you like their music you’ll probably like the album

Mar 29, 2024
  13. jankland

Dec 4, 2022
    Yeah I've just been here posting some weird s--- lately lol. Glad to hear you liked what you heard though!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Dec 4, 2022
    This is a great and creative album! The transitions between each track are some of the best I’ve heard in a while. The frequent changes with the vocal effects and in each instrumental as well as the genre combinations are entertaining. Tracks 10-13 make up my favorite part of the album, and “argyle” is my favorite song obviously. My only issue with the album is the braggadocious lyrics in “caffeine”. They come off as pretty cringey and unconvincing. Other than that, I have no complaints about this album

Mar 29, 2024
  15. jankland

Dec 4, 2022
    I think that's a pretty fair complaint about caffeine, there's a lot of unconvincing flexes and melodrama in this genre that really limits itself to being a zoomer thing sometimes.

But argyle onwards the melodrama feels actually personal and earned instead of being more vague and it shows in the lyrics cause some of the lines you hear in deepfake and introvert are way more well written/genuine even if it sounds a bit over the top occasionally. And that's not even to s--- on the earlier songs cause I really enjoy all of them but I think deepfake is one of my favorites by him in general.

He spent 3 years on this album and you can really tell when it comes to the production and structure, interested to see where he goes next cause his projects are consistently bangers.

Mar 29, 2024
  16. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Dec 4, 2022
    A bit chaotic, but I went thru the whole album. Nice hybrid of early 2000s vibe with modern rap.

Mar 29, 2024
  17. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Dec 4, 2022
    I definitely see what you’re saying. I was thinking maybe the song is called “caffeine” because he’s so hyped up and energetic that he’s becoming overly confident and crazy and that was the point, but I don’t know. I honestly don’t ever have a problem with melodrama. He seems to have depression, and as someone with depression myself, I know I can get pretty melodramatic sometimes. I like it in my music unless the lyrics get too surface level.

I definitely agree with you about argyle onwards being more personal and genuine. Deepfake is probably my second favorite song on the album, so I definitely understand why you love it so much. I also just like deepfake as a song title in general.

d---, I didn’t know he was working on this for 3 years, but that definitely makes sense. During my listening, I was thinking about how much work must’ve went into this. I think he’s gonna get better and better.

Mar 29, 2024
  18. jankland

Dec 4, 2022
    I also really don't mind a lot of melodrama I just hate when it's not done well or genuinely which isn't a problem with this album thankfully, it's more a problem with like s-----y TikTok songs and maybe some try hard Nu Metal that I still love lol. But that's also a problem with mgk's music like he had a whole song about being suicidal on his newest album but the song was so by the numbers and generic that it didn't even sound like he cared about his own experience. And I agree with you on him getting better and better, it's exciting to see a bunch of self producing artists like him and Quadeca actually growing into great musicians while pushing genres and you can tell they're going to be inspirations for other people's albums which is super cool.

Mar 29, 2024
  19. jankland

Dec 4, 2022
    h--- yeah I wasn't expecting you to come in here but I got you to like some 100 gecs songs (they're dropping in March and put out a few new singles that I have to listen to btw, yay!) so stranger things have happened lol, I better see you suffer through this Paramore album when it drops tho.

Ordinary Joel and Ricky like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Ricky like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  20. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Dec 4, 2022
    A bit bored and sick, so I have some time to listen to stuff. I've heard that new Gecs single with Skrilex, idk why, but I did lol.

I thought Paramore already dropped?

Mar 29, 2024