Finance Cryptocurrency Basics: Part 2 - General Concepts & How To Invest

Started by Slyk, Jan 2, 2018, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 2, 2018
    I've been breathing cryptos for the past few weeks now (been spending 3-4 hours a day educating myself and trading) and figured since there appears to be a following + interest here that it'd be worth compiling some thoughts to get some of you started on this stuff. I've got a handful of topics jotted down on a notepad, so if this goes well, i'll put out a series of these threads..

What is Bitcoin/Ethereum/cryptocurrencies/blockchain?
    I previously touched on a bunch of this here:
    Cryptocurrencies: Basics - Part 1
    let me know if you have any follow-up questions and i'll try to answer

"Cryptocurrencies"
    While Bitcoin may be the only coin with a household name at this point, there are 1000+ currencies with more being released almost every day now. Hence, the plural tense.

Why/How do cryptocurrencies have worth/value?
    I hear this a lot. "That's fake money". "You can't buy anything with Bitcoin". "Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme"... no no no. This is very much an emerging area, and you can't walk into Meijer's and pay for your groceries with Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash...but in the not-so-distant future you will. Today, Bitcoin (BTC) can be used to purchase goods at this running list. I have personally made a couple purchases with Bitcoin, but it's very much in its infancy stages and nobody knows where it's going to land (or if BTC will even remain king in the future) so for most people right now it should be treated as an investment opportunity today.

Bitcoin has value because people believe it has value. It's a similar concept to why we believe that paper money has value. As long as people continue to invest money in it, it will continue to have real world "worth".

On top of this, there are a finite number of Bitcoins that will ever be released into the market. That finite number is 21,000,000. The last Bitcoin will be injected into the market in the year 2140. Bitcoins are released as transactions are verified (through a process called "mining"). Miners are rewarded a portion of a BTC for verifying a transaction.

I might touch on mining more in a later thread.

What is an "altcoin"?
    Any of the 1000+ cryptocurrencies outside of Bitcoin (some may argue that Ethereum, Litecoin, & Bitcoin Cash are considered in this list) are termed "altcoins" (short for "alternative coins"). These 1000+ coins range from functioning as bitcoin competitors to facilitating international payments to digital wallets to ensuring truly anonymous transactions (privacy coins) to many various applications. Not all of these have aspirations to be the new Bitcoin. All of these can be invested/purchased/traded at many of the large cryptocurrency exchanges.

Am I too late?

Not only is it not too late, but right now is a prime time to jump in. There is a TON of money to be made and it moves FAST. Don't be the dumbest guy in the room when your friends are talking about how they got rich off this stuff in 5 years because you didn't invest. And don't be surprised when it happens.

I knew nothing about any of this 6 months ago and knew only little about how a stock market worked. Put in some time to research and you'll make money.

For example, I just found a notepad I put together when initially looking into this stuff back in July... my notes say that Ripple (XRP) was $0.27, Monero (XMR) was $51.69, Dash (DASH) was $181.41, and Litecoin (LTC) was $44.75. Today, those figures are $2.27, $382.19, $1106.93, and $248.85... which equates to 6-8 times their previous value. I missed out on many of these purchases then, but even today I think that all of these are great buys and I anticipate these + many others to continue to grow at a similar rate.

I only have ___ monies to invest. Is that too little?
    Even if you can only afford to throw $20 into it, it's still a great opportunity to make money. That said, only invest as much as you're able to lose.
    Edit: keep in mind that due to congestion on the bitcoin blockchain network, fees are pretty d--- high right now ($10-$15) . That fee comes into play when wanted to transfer your money from gemini/coinbase/gdax to a full exchange (binance/bittrex).

How to invest
    I touched on some of this in Part 1, but I've learned a few things since then so will reiterate some here.

To convert fiat money ($, €, etc.) into one of the main crypto coins, use one of the following:
    1. Gemini - pros: smaller fees. cons: not as intuitive of an interface, only offers BTC & ETH
    2. Coinbase - pros: easier GUI, money instantly available, offers BTC, ETH, LTC, & most recently BCC, will add more coins soon. cons: higher fees
    3. GDAX (subsidiary of Coinbase...if you sign up for Coinbase, then you also have a GDAX account) - pros: no fees. cons: you have to wait for your bank account to confirm your fiat transfer before investing.
    Create an account (it's free). Verify your credentials. Link a bank account. Transfer money. Wait the 4-5 days to process.

If all you want to do is invest in the main coins, then you're done.

To convert your BTC into one of the many altcoins, use one of the following:
    1. Binance - pros: smaller fees due to their use of BNB to facilitate trades, have a large variety of coins listed
    2. Bittrex - pros: have a large variety of coins listed. cons: slightly higher fees, currently (1/1/18) not accepting any new signups until they further update their infrastructures to support larger traffic volumes.
    If your desired coin isn't on one, then it's likely on the other.

Create an account (it's free). Transfer BTC from Gemini/Coinbase. Buy.

FYI: I've included my referral link on the Coinbase & Binance links above. If you're considering starting/joining then I'd appreciate ya using em.
    https://www.coinbase.com/join/593f11a619ddf609158a2b3d
    https://www.binance.com/?ref=18096131

Security
    Cryptocurrencies generally aren't ensured. You are responsible for keeping your coins safe.

DO:
    Use 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) via Google Authenticator or Authy
    Consider using a new email address for this stuff
    Use 2FA on your linked email account(s)
    Backup your 2FA programs on a piece of paper (not on a notepad on your computer)
    Make sure you're using the correct URL when accessing exchanges. Bookmark them.
    Consider storing your coins offline

DO NOT:
    Use 2FA via SMS text messages (all it would take is someone to clone your SIM card and then they'll get your texts)
    Use unsecure wifi networks
    Use third party apps to trade on your phone with (FYI: I don't trade on my phone at all)
    Use the same password across exchanges
    Expose your private key (I'll talk about public & private keys on a later thread)

All of that said, exchanges themselves have gotten hacked in the past. People have lost millions. If an exchange itself gets hacked then it won't matter if you've taken all of the above precautions -- if your coins were stored on the exchange and they were to get hacked then they would be gone forever. Because of this, there is something called "cold storage" where you can take extra precaution and store your funds off of the exchanges. I'll talk about these cold storage options in a later thread.

Hopefully this scares you into being safe and not into avoiding cryptocurrency altogether.

Again: only invest what you're willing to lose.

25182373_10156031956303408_3240038631960396132_o.jpg

Where to get your news/info
    coindesk
    reddit
    cointelegraph
    bitcointalk
    read the whitepapers

Tools
    tradingview
    coinmarketcap
    coingecko
    coinscanner
    changelly

Portfolio Trackers
    blockfolio
    coincap
    delta

Mention Group
    Join the mention group: HODLGANG to get alerts on crypto

Future thread topics
    public vs private keys
    transferring coins
    mining
    satoshi
    cold storage
    know your memes
    strategies
    dual currency trading
    the future of bitcoin
    forks
    chart reading
    arbitrage
    setting stop losses & conditional buy orders
    taxes & the IRS
    volume/depth
    eliminating greed & fomo

if you end up making money off of these, then i wouldn't turn down donations
    BTC: 1ByE3HDdqCQZKj45zfnCMkqTf3qCB9anb8
    ETH: 0x3B2287769566C2bBB1d6a98bc363160C177a6098
    LTC: LRmCyDLA6qKN3z5xFj1qxfUKWQ8fPJTsSN

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 2, 2018

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 2, 2018
    mentioning people who showed an interest in this stuff in the past that i didn't mention earlier today:
    @ThatDudeD12 @Sqrt Sqrt @Sav Stanfield @Modest @TheTrueGeneral @King V @SliK @KWO @Jay

and those from the finance thread:
    @Jet✞ @Autistic Meme @MilesMorales @Chad Warden @blair @El Plus Member @Skippy @Fazers @Dank Sinatra @Lucifert 2R @Tenski @Mike Tyson @Koolo @Poohdini @Black Jesus @Joey @Rowney

join the HODLGANG mention group if you're interested in this stuff moving forward. else, ignore.

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Ye the Goat

Jan 2, 2018
    Nice :westbrook:

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Jan 2, 2018
    this is brilliant, thanks man. where have you been buying ripple? Just converting on Binance? Coinbase isn't available in my country yet unfortunately.

I'm currently using UK-based Luno for Bitcoin and ETH. Also free, very easy to use. If anyone's interested check it out https://www.luno.com/invite/JTFWV and use the promo code JTFWV (so i get like 0.00000000000001 btc lol)

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Nick

Nick (;

Jan 2, 2018
    Paper money ain't backed by gold .

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Base Reality

Base Reality AKA Chewie

Jan 2, 2018
    This is awesome @Slyk :daps:

Another good tool is CryptoCompare

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 2, 2018
    yep just sending my BTC to Binance/Bittrex and buying XRP there.

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Sav Stanfield

Jan 2, 2018
    also Binance sounds like YG made his own bryptoburrency

Mar 28, 2024
  10. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 2, 2018
    paper backed by banks, backed by gold? maybe i've got it twisted... i've heard people make that argument several times now.

Ordinary Joel and Nick like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Nick like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. dna hits

Jan 2, 2018
    Bittrex isn’t accepting new people at this time so new people know. At least when I tried signing up the other day that’s what it said. That’s another reason I would sign up on Binance now before cryptocurrency gets anymore popular bringing more people to the exchange.

Ordinary Joel and Trackz like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  12. Nick

Nick (;

Jan 2, 2018
    the usd is backed by the "full faith of the us government" . It used to be a gold
    Backed economy but they changed it some time ago. Basically it's backed by good will lol . Confusing

Ordinary Joel, SliK and Slyk like this.
    Ordinary Joel, SliK and Slyk like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 2, 2018
    ah d--- yeah i wanted to include that in my write-up... bittrex put a hold on new signups until they're able to stabilize their infrastructure. i'll update the op. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ordinary Joel and dna hits like this.
    Ordinary Joel and dna hits like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 2, 2018
    Thanks for this @Slyk. Once I get my taxes sorted out and know how much I can invest I'm gonna dive in.

Ordinary Joel, Slyk and Trackz like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Slyk and Trackz like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Jan 2, 2018
    @Slyk is converting BTC or ETH the only way to purchase Ripple? I don't want to trade my Ethereum since I'm doing really well with it.

Mar 28, 2024
  16. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 2, 2018
    Most exchanges trade strictly in BTC or ETH, so you would have to go fiat->one of those and then into Ripple (XRP).
    Both Bittrex and Binance offer USDT trading as well, but it's a much more limited number of coins that can be purchased with the pairing (BIttrex offers a USDT-XRP pairing, while Binance does not). I haven't used USDT yet, but it's basically the equivalent to having your money in a "safe haven" where the value reflects that of the USD and should therefore be in a stable state and not held in a volatile crypto coin and/or it circumvents you needing to pull back into fiat if you're planning to re-invest into crypto again. I believe there's a way to transfer USD->USDT from Coinbase/Gemini to Bittrex/Binance and you can purchase the limited number of coins that is offered that way without having to go to BTC/ETH.

Mar 28, 2024
  17. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Jan 2, 2018
    thank you for this! i'll look into this ASAP. I don't want to miss out on XRP.

Mar 28, 2024
  18. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Jan 2, 2018
    man it sucks handling my crypto currency while I'm deployed. all my internet connections are from india or Afghanistan so I have to do double or triple the verification needed for websites I normally use in the States.

Mar 28, 2024
  19. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 2, 2018
    just be sure you're using 2FA everywhere.

Mar 28, 2024
  20. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Jan 2, 2018
    Yes sir, I started doing it after I was having issues with my bittrex account.

Ordinary Joel and Slyk like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Slyk like this.
    Mar 28, 2024