Started by Enigma, Jan 2, 2019, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

Is Punching Down In Comedy Acceptable?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Jan 2, 2019
    Is punching down in comedy, whether it be stand-up or whatever, acceptable? I’m asking this after the recent Louis C.K. controversy where he made jokes about the parkland shooting survivors & trans people. Personally, I hate the idea of censoring art. Everyone is obligated to their opinion if they believe a joke is funny or not but I don’t think anything should be necessarily “off limits.” Comedy is all about taking serious topics & being able to make light of the situation. Sometimes that involves being able to laugh at yourself or the situation you’re in. That’s just me personally though *shrug* thoughts?

asvdawg and Ricky like this.
    asvdawg and Ricky like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Jan 2, 2019
    If you don't want to hear cruel jokes, just don't watch it. You choose to watch it yourself. So I agree, comedians/tvshows whatever should be able to say or do whatever they want in their shows (to an extent... when its actual dangerous stuff..)

asvdawg, KingZ, Ricky and 1 other person like this.
    asvdawg, KingZ, Ricky and 1 other person like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. CJ Poe

CJ Poe The Dark Vegan

Jan 2, 2019
    Anyone who is familiar with CK's comedy knows he's done said worst or equal s--- in the past in his routine, it's nothing new ( Chinese babies, punching 4-year-olds, r---, incest, gays, mentally challenged people, and the list goes on)

Of course, this was all before you have to watch what you say in fear of "offending" 99.9% of the world's population

the age of this bs SJW crap is ridiculous

asvdawg, Ricky, JEB and 3 others like this.
    asvdawg, Ricky, JEB and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. Howie

Jan 2, 2019
    I don't think he was punching down. These kids are now famous, almost household names, and have everyone's attention, yet they've accomplished nothing. They haven't earned s---. Punch away.

PistolPistol likes this.
    PistolPistol likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Enigma

Jan 2, 2019
    Making fun of kids who watched their friends/teachers get gunned downed is definitely punching down lol. A lot of them have gone on to score various internships in Washington & work with activist groups. A good chunk of them, or at least the one’s on tv, have been accepted to prestigious colleges, I wouldn’t say they’ve done nothing.

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Jan 2, 2019
    Cringe and unfunny, but allowable.

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Enigma

Jan 2, 2019
    Agreed. The backlash seems less about the jokes not really being funny but more so about how bad of a person Louis C.K. is for making such jokes. I mean, Louis C.K. is a s-----y person but that’s a different discussion & it’s definitely not because he engages in dark humor.

DKC and Lil Squeed like this.
    DKC and Lil Squeed like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Jan 2, 2019
    I don’t agree with censoring comedy, make jokes about whatever you want. But it has to actually be a joke. “Haha gay people” is not a joke, jokes have punchlines, that’s low hanging fruit.

Mar 28, 2024
  9. JIGGA MANE

Jan 2, 2019

Lil Squeed and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Lil Squeed and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  10. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Jan 2, 2019
    there should never be censorship in comedy, but with that said, forced "shock value" is corny. You can say whatever you want, but if it isn't funny, it isn't funny

asvdawg, theg, DKC and 4 others like this.
    asvdawg, theg, DKC and 4 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Jan 2, 2019
    If it's funny, it's funny. If I think somebody is actually a racist or transphobic, of course that taints any humor I might find in the material. Does that mean somebody can't craft a funny a--- joke using bigoted sentiments? I think you can point to a slew of comics that prove that wrong. But yes, of course, the message is on the end of the receiver and everybody is entitled to their interpretation/reception. That doesn't mean everybody has a defensible position though.

I do think Frankie Boyle has a good point about the subject of the joke being different from the target of the joke. As in, you can invoke very problematic concepts that cut the opposite way. Satire is a dangerous game when you can incidentally come to stand for the things you were trying to criticize though. See: Paul Verhoeven's adaptation of Starship Troopers. Even Roger Ebert was convinced that film was pro-fascism.

asvdawg, DKC, Winter and 2 others like this.
    asvdawg, DKC, Winter and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  12. Enigma

Jan 2, 2019
    This x10000. Put it in way better words than I could.

Charlie Work and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Charlie Work and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. Jay Zeus

Jay Zeus I am the god-favored weed strain

Jan 2, 2019
    Louis hasn't been funny since people used to say Dane Cook stole his jokes. We're going on about almost a full decade since that was a thing. He wrote, produced, and directed "Pootie Tang" with Chris Rock, which will forever be a guilty pleasure of mine. But that's where it ends. Dude truly does "punch down" often. His whole stand-up comedy routine shtick/motif is to cling to shock value like flies on s---. s--- has grown stale.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Jan 3, 2019
    Y’all mind if I masturbate in this thread?

Mar 28, 2024
  15. PistolPistol

PistolPistol Inappropriate? So be it. I don't see it..

Jan 3, 2019
    Is this a real topic.. ohh yeah that’s right it is. Government and the media now controls what we (me not included) say too. Freedom of SPEECH. Censor NOBODY.
    p-----s

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  16. lil uzi vert stan

Jan 3, 2019
    There is no punching down. If something works, it works. Generally, imo, it's better to make yourself the joke instead of having the POV where you're morally superior.

That said, jokes should be allowed to be workshopped. The only way to do that in comedy is to say them in front of an audience. They're jokes - nothing more. If they don't work, whatever. The fact this was recorded and released without CK's consent is the true outrage here, imho.

asvdawg, Kevin, Ordinary Joel and 5 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  17. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 3, 2019
    The difference is his older material was actually funny. I watched a 2 min clip of the leaked set and it was terrible/extremely lowest common denominator.

Ordinary Joel and Enigma like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Enigma like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. Vos

Vos

Jan 3, 2019
    I agree that the jokes in question weren't funny (there were plenty of funny moments during the entire set though), but this idea that certain topics in comedy should be off limits, or that Louis hasn't made jokes about very serious topics before is ridiculous. You have people calling him a right wing comic now. We shouldn't treat jokes as the comic's true feelings about a certain issue.

Ordinary Joel, Enigma and DKC like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Enigma and DKC like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  19. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 3, 2019
    Oh the subjects are def not off limits, I shoulda made that clear my b. I was responding to the notion that he’s said worse things and that those jokes are nothing new...which is true but his older material is much more inventive/had something to say about the subjects instead of just “haha, trans people, am i right????”

But I’ll wait to judge his new stuff until he comes out with a completed special, cuz @Papa Alpha Andy does raise a valid point that he’s testing new stuff and should be allowed to do so...but still id think a comic of his stature wouldn’t be making such lowest common denominator jokes.

Mar 28, 2024
  20. common lisp

Jan 3, 2019
    i hope you realize that some groups are forced to laugh at themselves more than others.

that aside, you obviously can't tell anyone not to do something, but if you're a comedian, the very nature of jokes require some sort of pandering so that they're well received by your audience.

if you go around making offensive jokes to the wrong audience, you can't complain that everyone's too sensitive nowadays, it's you who failed your job.

Mar 28, 2024