Eminem TES - "2001" Expanded Edition (Updated)

Started by BIG MONKEY, Mar 17, 2024, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY wigger slayer

Mar 17, 2024
    A common refrain on this forum is that if Eminem had released a solo album in 2001 instead of Devil's Night (or if DN were a solo album) it would have been better than MMLP and TES. People seem to forget though that a good deal of TES was recorded in between DN verses. 3:10:

He says here that TES was going to be more serious than MMLP, but somewhere along the line he apparently forgot all about that and put songs like Drips and that boring D12 track on the album instead of Stimulate and No Apologies (for those who for some reason think he hadn't recorded No Apologies yet, the point still stands, because then why didn't he?). So here's my reinterpretation of The Eminem Show, with the less hard-hitting songs cut and the most relevant songs from 2001 incorporated. I'm tempted to say this tops MMLP. It definitely has a lot more replay value.

(video blocked, dl below)

Tracklist:

Curtains Up (skit)
    White America
    Brainwashed (skit)
    Revelation
    Cleanin' Out My Closet
    Square Dance
    Renegade
    Steve Berman (Pt. 1)
    Ain't Nuttin' But Music
    Steve Berman (Pt. 2)
    s--- Can Happen
    Lights, Cameras, Action! (skit)
    Soldier
    Sayin' Goodbye to Hollywood
    Girls
    Paul Rosenberg (skit)
    Pistol Pistol
    Sing for the Moment
    Till I Collapse
    Without Me
    Stimulate
    Fight Music
    Superman (interlude)
    p---- Like Me
    Hailie's Song
    My Dad's Gone Crazy
    No Apologies
    Curtains Close (skit)​

Audio edits:
    White America - Longer ending hook & outro extended with instrumental, uncut
    Revelation - No D12, extended (looped) guitar outro a bit, added "f--- You" (Eminem) and "Slaughter You All" (Proof) from Proof's verse to the end of Eminem's verse
    Cleanin' Out My Closet - Hook only plays at the end, added full outro and extended it even more with instrumental highlights
    Square Dance - New "Business" intro & outro
    Renegade - No Jay Z (by EmSager)
    Ain't Nuttin' But Music - No D12 verses, added 2001 freestyle of The Kiss skit verse in the outro in place of D12 singing
    Steve Berman (skit) - With "Another Public Service Announcement" ending
    s--- Can Happen - Only Eminem & Kon Artis, amplified fadeout ending a bit, uncut
    Lights Action (skit) - The Kiss skit, ends after car is turned off
    Soldier - Extended with the Kiss skit instrumental, modified the hook, added snippets of 2001 "Whether or Not" freestyle to the third hook iteration, added new instrumental outro, and an additional acapella snippet of the same freestyle at the end
    Sayin' Goodbye to Hollywood - Extended with instrumental
    Girls - added 2001 interview snippet at the end
    Pistol Pistol - Only Proof, Kon Artis, and Eminem, hook repeats twice at the end, new instrumental outro, uncut
    Sing for the Moment - Amplified Eminem's vocals in the hook and Guerra diss, extended instrumental, song ends with new "Dream On" sample
    Till I Collapse - With full instrumental beginning & alternate outro
    Without Me - With OG Renegade snippet instead of Rap Name, and acapella ending
    Stimulate - Amplified fadeout ending, added backmasked sample from Revelation and flying sound effect from Superman and beginning of Fight Music at the end
    Fight Music - Only Eminem and Kon Artis, instrumental outro, added same Revelation sample from Revelation to the hook with no backmasking, added soundbite from Fight Music behind the scenes video to the end
    Superman (interlude) - No verses, extended with instrumental highlights
    p---- Like Me - Bizarre and "Rondell Beene" outro removed, new ending related to the next track
    Hailie's Song - Extended instrumental, uncut
    My Dad's Gone Crazy - outro extended with instrumental, added samples from: OG Renegade ("Crazy"), OG Renegade (babbling noise that's only audible in the acapella), Blow My Buzz, Funk Flex Freestyle
    No Apologies - Extended with instrumental highlights, added hook fadeout ending, uncut

Rationale for track ordering:
    Each track can be interpreted as a reference to the previous or next track in some noteworthy way. My take:

White America

Brainwashed (skit) - "Straight out the tube, right into your livin' rooms I came"

Revelation - "Gangsta rap brainwashed me"

Cleanin' Out My Closet - "My mother wasn't able to raise me"

Square Dance w/ Business samples - "I'd like to welcome y'all to The Eminem Show"

Renegade - A renegade/rebel against the Bush regime

Steve Berman (Pt. 1) - from DN

Ain't Nuttin' But Music - "They call me a menace, but it's just music"

Steve Berman (Pt. 2) - Previous track plays in the background

s--- Can Happen - It's just music ... until it isn't.

Soldier - s--- can happen.

Sayin' Goodbye to Hollywood - Fallout

Girls - "MFers must think 'cause I'm in trouble with the law that I won't jaw 'em, up my sentence and double it tomorrow"

Paul Rosenberg (skit)

Pistol Pistol - "Leave your f---ing gun at home" ... "I don't go nowhere without my pistol pistol"

Sing for the Moment - "See, what these kids do is hear about us totin' pistols, and they wanna get one ‘cause they think the s---'s cool, not knowin' we really just protectin' ourselves"

Till I Collapse - "They want to shut me down, but I'll sing/rap till I collapse"

Without Me - 'Cause it would be so empty without me

Stimulate - "Hum, dei-dei, la-la, la-la, la-la-la. Kids!" ... "Psst, hey, listen... Da-da-da-da-da-da-da"

Fight Music - "I'm not here to save you / Ecneloiv, Ecneloiv" ... "I came to save these new generations of babies / Violence, violence!"

Superman (interlude) - reference to Stimulate, interlude to p---- Like Me

Hailie's Song - "the only lady I adore"

My Dad's Gone Crazy

No Apologies - "I wouldn't let Hailie listen to me either, but no apologies f---ers"

DL

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    kodo and M Solo like this.
    kodo and M Solo like this.
    Apr 27, 2024
  2. Marsh

Marsh May 15th

Mar 17, 2024
    I love Devil's Night as it is :kanye3:

David26 likes this.
    David26 likes this.
    Apr 27, 2024
  3. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY wigger slayer

Mar 17, 2024
    I have a soft spot for DN myself, even though I don't care for a lot of D12's verses on it. Be that as it may, I'm trying to do something different here. Comprenez vous, ese?

0 0
    Apr 27, 2024
  4. Zebedee

Zebedee Banned

Mar 17, 2024
    Cringeeee

sftm, without me, superman
    ,soldier, cleaning out my closet and say goodbye to Hollywood were recorded first.

then he spent 2 weeks with Dre and elizondo in Detroit and recorded my dads gone crazy, business, say what u say.

Later he recorded Til I collapse, white American, square dance, when the music stops.

Devils night was recorded way before all this (along with sftm). He f----- up adding a load of average rappers on devils night. We will never hear a full Eminem version. Stop making these cringey f---ing edits and let it be

kodo and CageKennylz like this.
    kodo and CageKennylz like this.
    Apr 27, 2024
  5. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY wigger slayer

Mar 17, 2024
    Judging from his voice I'd guess the later recordings were Drips, Superman, When the Music Stops, Business, and Say What You Say. Some songs for all anyone knows could have been recorded in '02 which is why I put "2001" in quotes but it doesn't matter. They fit the sound I was aiming for well enough.
    You clearly don't know what you're talking about and just like to hear yourself talk out of your a------ like Chaotic Progress. SFTM and Cleanin' Out My Closet at the very least have the MMLP/DN voice. Compare Cleanin' Out My Closet with Girls, they could've been recorded on the same day.
    I just made a full 2001 Eminem album and the whole forum is too r-----ed to recognize it.

0 0
    Apr 27, 2024
  6. crazybeats

Mar 17, 2024
    He says himself he records 30 to 40 songs per album. Stimulate is far too similar to Sing For The Moment which is no doubt why it was left off. The first two verses of No Apologies were used as freestyles so he obviously decided it wasn't good enough for the album but liked the verses enough to use them as freestyles on radio shows.

Z Gangsta likes this.
    Z Gangsta likes this.
    Apr 27, 2024
  7. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY wigger slayer

Mar 17, 2024
    "Stimulate", which was kept off the album due to time constraints and instead appeared on the bonus disc of the 8 Mile soundtrack album
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eminem_Show

0 0
    Apr 27, 2024
  8. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY wigger slayer

Mar 17, 2024
    "I've started working on a new album. I've been doing songs in between producing songs for the D12 album."

"I've got a few songs done for [TES] already."

^ Straight from the DN era. He's clearly talking about SFTM and Cleanin' My Closet here, possibly Soldier, Sayin' Goodbye to Hollywood, Stimulate, and White America as well. What you said is only true of the earliest songs recorded for DN like Words Are Weapons, s--- on You, etc. Sit the f--- down and stfu, yappy fa----.

kodo likes this.
    kodo likes this.
    Apr 27, 2024
  9. crazybeats

Mar 17, 2024
    It was also on promo vinyl copies of The Eminem Show on place of Say Goodbye To Hollywood and when the album leaked online Stimulate leaked online too so it was obviously considered for release fairly close to the release date. I do prefer Say Goodbye To Hollywood.

kodo likes this.
    kodo likes this.
    Apr 27, 2024
  10. crazybeats

Mar 17, 2024

s--- On You was very old even then. It was on the original tracklist for The Marshall Mathers LP. So that takes it right back to early 2000 maybe even 1999.

kodo likes this.
    kodo likes this.
    Apr 27, 2024
  11. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY wigger slayer

Mar 17, 2024
    Oh so do I. It fits like a glove after W/out me cut short at "Kids" though. Including it and Renegade etc may make the album a bit repetitive, but it beats having Drips and that mid-a--- D12 song on it.
    Right. It sounds even older than UTI.

0 0
    Apr 27, 2024
  12. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

Mar 17, 2024
    This is cold as f---. Never heard these instrumentals. s--- just took me back to 2002-2003.

BIG MONKEY likes this.
    BIG MONKEY likes this.
    Apr 27, 2024
  13. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY wigger slayer

Mar 17, 2024
    For me the instrumental outros are half the fun - SFTM and Hailie's Song especially are great to vibe out to. If it wasn't for that Dope Edit guy I wouldn't have been able to make the unreleased instrumentals sound so good. Yeah it's possible to remove the vocals with AI but usually not so cleanly afaik. Hopefully he uploads Revelation someday if he has it because it sounds like it was cut short. It's a crying shame Eminem stopped rapping over that kind of production in favor of rock beats for people who don't listen to rock like f---ing Survival.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    kodo likes this.
    kodo likes this.
    Apr 27, 2024
  14. Zebedee

Zebedee Banned

Mar 17, 2024
    no. your hearing/judgement is clearly terrible. white america, music stops, till i collapse, all have pillinem voice creeping in. yes, sftm and closet are earlier recordings, which is basically what i said. Lmao @ naming 2 Dre-produced songs, but not the other two and claiming its the same voice :'(. All Dre produced tracks for TES were recorded in a. 2-week period in detroit, including the unreleased dre-produced song that DJ Head claims is one of the best eminem songs he ever heard.

Alldevils night production was was waaay before TES sessions started. Later TES sessions included 8 mile soundtrack songs. You should thank me for absolutely schooling you on your stannery. any more questions just ask

0 0
    Apr 27, 2024
  15. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY wigger slayer

Mar 17, 2024
    This is as almost dumb as your theory about the extended beats from Dope Edit being fan remakes LOL ("durr, maybe Dope Edit is a musician who's just as talented as the Bass Bros" :happypepe::'(:happypepe:).
    I didn't just say they were "earlier recordings", I said they were at least some of the songs Eminem himself said he'd already recorded in the DN era interviews I posted earlier and that you completely ignored.

Again:

You didn't "basically say" that either. You said DN was recorded way before anything on TES including SFTM and Cleanin'.

The interview quotes directly and unambiguously disprove this, yet here you are still shamelessly prattling on. Count yourself among the "brain dead stans" you mentioned earlier. You absolute ape.

0 0
    Apr 27, 2024
  16. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY wigger slayer

Mar 17, 2024
    And I'm supposed to be the big monkey here.

0 0
    Apr 27, 2024
  17. crazybeats

Mar 18, 2024
    Also Eminem said the version of Business on The Eminem Show was not the original version. Dre took some production out of Say What You Say. Lots of changes were made to The Eminem Show prior to release

0 0
    Apr 27, 2024
  18. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY wigger slayer

Mar 18, 2024
    Source? (I don't doubt it's true, just it's news to me.)

0 0
    Apr 27, 2024
  19. crazybeats

Mar 18, 2024
    It's in his The Way I Am book.

He also says him and Dre wrote 11 songs for Encore. So 4 we haven't heard

Z Gangsta, Evad and BIG MONKEY like this.
    Z Gangsta, Evad and BIG MONKEY like this.
    Apr 27, 2024
  20. cz1nonly

Mar 18, 2024
    This is fire, great work putting this together!

BIG MONKEY likes this.
    BIG MONKEY likes this.
    Apr 27, 2024