Working from home

Started by Michael Myers, Feb 13, 2021, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 13, 2021
    So one of the social distancing rules here (and probably worldwide) is working from home if possible.

W some jobs its not possible of course, but for a lot it is.

Good thing about it, obviously, is no travelling, less traffic in general (environment, no traffic jams etc) and u can combine work w stuff u need to do at home.

On the other hand working from home also makes it less seperate.. u are at home, but still working. Also its not always easy to work from home, especially if u have kids or other people in ur house. And of course, huge part of going to work is to socialize w co-workers.

Lots of people I know are going crazy working at home for almost a year, others love it.. there are definitely pro's and con's.

To me a balance, like 3 days at work and 2 at home seems perfect. Obviously depending on the whole pandemic situation.

Regardless of corona, how do you feel about working from home and the pro's and cons it has?

@LifeSXN

Slyk, Worm, DKC and 8 others like this.
    Slyk, Worm, DKC and 8 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

Feb 13, 2021
    I've been wfh for almost exactly a year now ever since the UK locked down in March last year. It started off fantastic, I was incredibly happy to not have to commute, to be able to literally roll out of bed. Plus I'm antisocial b------ so no more bs office events was a blessing.

The weird thing is, after an initial lull, the industry I'm in is booming beyond measure right now. The volume and intensity of work has skyrocketed and I'm working longer hours and more weekends than ever before. Its so easy to just send a couple of emails and then find yourself working on another project. Switching off has become increasingly difficult unless you make some seriously hard rules you don't break, which I'm glad I've finally gotten around to doing. Overall i've loved it and if I have the choice would keep doing it rather than going into an office. But you have to create your own boundaries or you'll get completely overwhelmed. Even so, I'm still kinda looking forward to our office reopening and going in every once in a while, maybe 1-2 days a week, just for a change of scenery.

Worm, JEB, Michael Myers and 3 others like this.
    Worm, JEB, Michael Myers and 3 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  3. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 13, 2021
    Yeah this is pretty spot on, usually the more introvert (antisocial as u call it lmao) are in heaven right now w wfh, and the other side that wants people around hate it.

I guess thats why I like the balance. I can be on my own perfectly, but also love to have people around from time to time. Both private life and work

Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  4. aleeex1923

Feb 16, 2021
    Love working from home, was never a fan of going to the office.
    Can't stand people that work in offices, all my life I applied only for night shift jobs, cause during the late shift there are 2-3 people max in the building.
    And now that I work from home is like a dream come true.

Apr 24, 2024
  5. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Feb 16, 2021
    I think some level of working from home will stay with us forever.

There are many pros and cons. No travelling and no over-the-shoukder management has got to be a huge plus.

But how to you build a network? How do you progress? Where does it stop when you end up working I to your personal time?

I strongly believe that a blend of the 2 will be the way forward. Monday and Friday work from home and tues-thurs at the office. Allows a break in the grind of the daily commute whilst still allowing people the necessary face time to build a professional network and build a solid career.

I don't like this though because for the majority of my career I've run pubs in the workforce center of London (I'm currently eyeing up a pub in Canary Wharf to run) but I guess it is what it is!

Worm, Michael Myers, JEB and 2 others like this.
    Worm, Michael Myers, JEB and 2 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  6. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Feb 16, 2021
    I love it. The NYC rush hour train commute before Corona was a nightmare. I hate the trains because of it. The people, the smells, the mentally ill homeless, the godforsaken Showtime performers, enough. Add a pandemic to that, not only do I not want to take the train but it’s literally a health hazard. No commute, no longer having to endure s-----y coworkers. Spending less on lunch and transit fare, supervisors not watching your every move. The pandemic in one fell swoop eliminated a lot of the worst aspects of work. Remote work forever.

Apr 24, 2024
  7. Wreckless

Feb 16, 2021
    Same here.

I hated going to work every morning and disliked a lot of the people there. The Covid situation has been a blessing in disguise. I've been working from home ever since with the exception of a few times I had to go to the office. And I love it. I'm actually dreading the day they tell us we have to go back.

But on a positive note, they did say that we will be able to work 2-3 days from home per week even when everything is back to normal. So that's good to hear. This whole Covid situation has had some positive. It opened up a lot of possibilities that employers hadn't really considered before. I think companies will be more and more open to the idea of working from home in the future.

Apr 24, 2024
  8. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Feb 16, 2021
    It's nothing like that Fifth Harmony music video so that was a big let down

Apr 24, 2024
  9. SHUDEYE

SHUDEYE Kerser is the sickest.

Feb 16, 2021
    I've been doing it nearly a year. What you said regarding separation is almost word for word what I've said, that part can get a bit hard but otherwise it's been pretty good.

Michael Myers and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Michael Myers and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  10. Mikey

Feb 16, 2021
    i think a 2 or 3 days working from home then the rest in the office or where ever is ideal.

Michael Myers, JEB and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Michael Myers, JEB and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  11. King of Kings

King of Kings Who Dey

Feb 16, 2021
    I have worked exclusively from home even before covid and its nice. I can masturbate and not have a sit down with HR.

Michael Myers likes this.
    Michael Myers likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  12. JEB

JEB

Feb 16, 2021
    I was already working from home 2 days a week, but not going in at all has been much different than I expected. First, I never knew how bad/ long lasting this pandemic would be way back in March (crazy it's almost been a year). There are certainly pros and cons, but I'd like to be able to go in 2 or 3 days a week. I miss the social interaction and I even kind of miss the commute, which I never thought I would

Apr 24, 2024
  13. Rodamon

Feb 17, 2021
    Well the pros are big, I am a lazy b------, so it is great to go from bed to the computer, no metro, no cold air in the morning, no rushing to the office.. and if there is no work coming in, i am literally at my home so i can do what i want. However, mentally it takes its toll, definitely. Well, and physically, my back and neck sometimes are f-----.

Apr 24, 2024
  14. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 17, 2021
    I've been working from home as a freelancer for almost four years now and though it has some amazing benefits, I'm pretty tired of it. Especially now that I have limited social interaction period with COVID. But it let me do a lot of traveling and gave a lot of flexibility to my life so I don't regret it at all, I'm just eager to move onto something new. Definitely glad I still was doing this when COVID hit.

At my last 9-5 I could work from home Mondays and Fridays if I wanted to which was perfect. Lets you ease in and out of the work week while also giving you routine + face to face interaction. It's also nice to have the wfh option for when you have a minor cold where you feel 100% fine to work but don't wanna get other people sick. It's honestly ridiculous to me that any computer-based jobs don't have a wfh option even if it's not a weekly/daily thing.

Ordinary Joel, SHUDEYE, JEB and 4 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, SHUDEYE, JEB and 4 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  15. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Feb 17, 2021
    My current job I've been working at for 2 years and have been working from home since last March as most of the world has. My job before that was strictly working from home and I did that for 4 years. I quit that job because of that. Working from home was nice for the first 3 months but then you slowly become a lazy f---. Roll out of bed 15 mins before work (sometimes 2 mins). Don't shower until lunch. Sweat pants all day (although I do love sweat pants). I also slowly noticed my place would be a mess. You don't notice how little you care about cleaning up when you're always home until you leave for a few hours and come home and it looks like a different place. The bigger issue to me was the lack of social interaction in person with people in the office. I love my alone time but I also like going to the office and bullshitting with coworkers, especially venting about your job. You can kind of do that through calls and messages with them through Teams or whatever communication app your company uses but it's not the same. I also noticed at my last job that some of the people were so used to not seeing anyone all day they would keep up the same habits on the weekend. Not talking to anyone in person, not going out and being social and I felt like if I stayed there I would start to become one of those weirdos. I made sure I left my place every day to go food shopping, the gym, out for a drink with friends just to get out of my place.

Another thing I really hate about working from home as someone else mentioned is the separation of work and home life. I'm working more because people know I'm home and will annoy me. You don't get that feeling of relief when the clock hits 5 when you're in the office and you are free to go home because you're already home. Previously at my current job I was working from home 2 days a week and going into the office the rest of the week. I thought that was a perfect separation for me so I could still get some facetime with colleagues but also not have to deal with insane traffic twice a day.

Apr 24, 2024
  16. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Feb 17, 2021
    In my experience, corporate management has a tendency to realllllly over-govern optional work-from-home policies. The company I've worked for offers 12 work from home days if you're sick and it's like...why put a number on it? lol

Hopefully that'll change now that COVID forced everybody home and the sky hasn't fallen in the several months we've all been out of the office.

Apr 24, 2024
  17. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 17, 2021
    Teams is the shittiest chat application I've ever used, we were on Slack before that which was soooooo much better.

Apr 24, 2024
  18. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 17, 2021
    Also, this stuff x1000. Since COVID especially I made it a habit to tidy up my room/workspace every night before I go to bed cuz that stuff really does make a huge difference for your mental health. Feels so much better to be in a clean area.

I also don't have any work-related apps on my phone and have a hard cutoff of 6PM (which is usually never a problem anyway since I tend to start earlier in the day so I can finish by 3-4) so I can separate work and life as best I can. Deleted most social media (including logging out of SXN80) off my phone too + my phone is usually set to go into not disturb at 8PM or 9PM. Trying to eliminate as many avenues of constant communication as I can so I have to actually sit down at the computer to check this stuff.

Ordinary Joel, Worm and Michael Myers like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  19. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Feb 17, 2021
    I've worked from home 1-2 weeks/mo for the past 6 years or so, but never have done the 100% from home thing... best advice i can give to help boost actual work productivity is to create a 2nd user account on your computer for during the work day. rid it of your apps, bookmarks (minus sxn80), etc. that you would normally use to d-ck around. log out of that at EOB and into your personal account thereafter.

it's a nice way to "clock in" and out without being in an actual office.

Apr 24, 2024
  20. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 17, 2021
    Never thought of that, but that's a great idea! Might try that out.

Apr 24, 2024