Running Thread

Started by Nori, Jun 15, 2015, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Nori

Nori ☺ Deadpool is my deformed bousin☺

Jun 15, 2015
    Post here if you like running, or have any questions about it. We can all help each other out.

@Loyalty

Sqrt Sqrt, 83837477, OwI and 12 others like this.
    Sqrt Sqrt, 83837477, OwI and 12 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  2. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Jun 15, 2015

Sqrt Sqrt, Final, Jasmine and 6 others like this.
    Sqrt Sqrt, Final, Jasmine and 6 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  3. Loyalty

Loyalty we go hard on earth

Jun 15, 2015
    Checking in!

Haven't run in a few days but now that my half-marathon is over I'm going to focus on training to beat my 1 mile and 5k times.

I'm sure they're not that hard to beat for @Nori and some others here.

1 mile: 7:16
    5K: 25:40

Final, FlawlessT, Deadpool and 3 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  4. Nori

Jun 15, 2015
    As I'm sure i've told quite a few you, I used to run a lot. However, I hurt my right knee back in late march. I've being going to physical therapy for the past couple of months and got cleared to start running again, my knee still bothers me but I've regained stability and form which is the most important thing for me. After two weeks of slow running on the treadmill I decided to test my knee, I went for my usual short run that I had been doing for the last few months prior to getting hurt.

The stability and form were there, but my knee still bothered me. Overall the run was great since it was my first outside run in over 2 months, I tried to keep my pace at 11 minutes per mile but its tough to control speed off the treadmill. My knee's sore right now but I'm icing it, it's a Beautiful Pain :mjcry:

I'll go back to the gym the rest of the week and continue building up my mileage this week. I'm currently at 2 miles at 5.3 speed on the treadmill , which is like an 11 minute pace. I'll be increasing my treadmill mileage by .5 miles every week, and doing this run here to test my knee strength every week. Hoping to be back to running halfs at my regular speed by September.

[​IMG]

OwI, Final, ChanceTheRapper and 8 others like this.
    OwI, Final, ChanceTheRapper and 8 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  5. J Roc

J Roc Straight up

Jun 15, 2015

Apr 26, 2024
  6. Mimi

Mimi the art of doing nothing

Jun 15, 2015
    I used to really dislike running and would always opt for the elliptical at the gym. After my family got a herding dog and I started taking him out for runs I began to love the therapy of it, especially outdoor running. Major cons are the injuries though. I want to build my distance up by 2 more kms on what I already do and then start working on cutting my times.

Do you guys opt for a certain brand of running shoes?

Apr 26, 2024
  7. rapmusik

Jun 15, 2015
    for me, running is best early in the morning. like, I'd rather get out there and run at 6 in the morning as opposed to 3 in the afternoon. it's quieter, more peaceful, less traffic, etc. same with going out for a bike ride

Final, FlawlessT, Deadpool and 2 others like this.
    Final, FlawlessT, Deadpool and 2 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  8. Nori

Jun 15, 2015
    @Mimi yeah injuries are part of it. But that runner's high and stress/anxiety relieve is worth it IMO. Plus you can prevent injuries by going to the gym and working on the muscles surrounding your knees (wish I had known that sooner). Regarding the sneakers, I've used both Nike and Saucony. I'm a big Nike fan and haven't really had any issues with my past few sneakers, but from what I've read around other forums and seen at races, Saucony seems to be pretty respected and the price point is a bit cheaper I think. My next pair will probably Saucony.

Xerksis, Final, FlawlessT and 2 others like this.
    Xerksis, Final, FlawlessT and 2 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  9. Loyalty

Jun 15, 2015
    d--- @Nori, that's a very steady 8 minute pace for a 5 mile run, especially with a hurt knee. Good job, hopefully you can get back to running halfs soon. How do you like Map My Run? I've been using Nike Plus for like 4 years so I'm hesitant to switch and lose all my stats.

@Mimi I also use Nikes, mostly because it's a popular brand and they work for me. Also I have a Nike outlet 10 minutes away where I can get an $80-100 pair for about $40, so it's worth it.

Also I agree with you @rapmusik. If I don't run in the morning I will likely not run at all, I just have to do it early. Especially in this heat.

Apr 26, 2024
  10. lil uzi vert stan

Jun 15, 2015
    Ran my third half marathon yesterday. This course was tough -- multiple hills at the end, as well as a final, hot stretch of highway.

Final, Trackz, FlawlessT and 6 others like this.
    Final, Trackz, FlawlessT and 6 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  11. JFK

JFK Bleach on my t-shirt

Jun 15, 2015
    Been running 2-3 miles almost everyday with my roommate. It's 98 degrees outside. Basically torture.

Apr 26, 2024
  12. Nori

Jun 15, 2015
    Congratulations on your 3rd Half @captain awesome

And yeah @JFK I'm in NY and the heat plus humidity is horrible for running, but I enjoy sweating so I don't mind it that much.

@Loyalty I just went with Map My Run since it was free, but I mainly used it for speed and splits and it does what I need it to do. I know it also tells you elevation and a few other things too. I know what you mean about losing you stats =\ they're all the same in the end though. How do you like Nike Plus?

Apr 26, 2024
  13. Mimi

Mimi the art of doing nothing

Jun 15, 2015
    @Nori, I hope your knee gets gets stronger soon so you can just focus on the running. I do weights at home so I'll have to look into some some that focus on those muscles. I'll always try running on grass if I can for a softer landing to help. I've never heard of Saucony. I love Nikes as daily shoes for some reason though I feel weary buying a pair for running. I definitely find running therapeutic, it's like it's own form of meditation.I feel like my mind goes completely blank, I'm not thinking about anything but just being.

@Loyalty that's really lucky to be so close to an outlet and get such great prices. Do you own a nice collection of running sneakers to rotate through?

@rapmusik Mornings runs are definitely better, I'll always be super happy and bouncy for the rest of the day on runs days.

Xerksis, Final, Loyalty and 5 others like this.
    Xerksis, Final, Loyalty and 5 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  14. Apoogies

Apoogies wuu2?

Jun 15, 2015
    Earlier I went for a run but I came back home after a couple minutes because I forgot something
    I forgot I can't run more than a couple minutes :mjcry:

Final, BroadStBully2, Jaya and 7 others like this.
    Final, BroadStBully2, Jaya and 7 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  15. Loyalty

Jun 15, 2015
    That's good stuff to know! Nike Plus is good but I basically only can see my average mile pace and total time and distance. My Nike running watch broke a few years ago so I bought a better Garmin GPS watch (didn't want the Nike Fuel band) and I just manually add my runs to Nike, since I had a few hundred miles already there.

Btw nice thread tags :emoji_wink:
    Yeah, the Nike outlet is great. One day when I can afford to have a collection I'd love to, but right now I just have a pair for running and a pair for every other use.

Final, FlawlessT, Nori and 1 other person like this.
    Final, FlawlessT, Nori and 1 other person like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  16. Final

Final

Jun 16, 2015
    i'm a noob runner but i'm starting

Apr 26, 2024
  17. Nori

Jun 16, 2015
    Just got back from the gym, knee was still sore from yesterday's run but I did my usual routine. Quad and calf strength keeps improving which is always a good thing, I had been slacking on my wall sits but I got em done today.

Also went to the doctor yesterday to get my PT prescription extended. She told me its good that its helping me but only gave me 1 more month of PT. After that I'll have to take an MRI since there's still a chance I might have a small tear in one of my ligaments :sad2:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Final, FlawlessT and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Final, FlawlessT and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  18. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Jun 16, 2015
    I made some interesting transitions when it comes to running. I was always a sprinter when I ran in high school and college, but when I joined the Air Force, I had to get used to running 3km. I hated running long distance. I tried it in middle school and came in dead last in my first race. I quit the next day...

Fast forward to me now being 29, I average 3 to 5km a day just to keep myself in shape along with my martial arts. I never thought I would do any type of long distance running, but it's actually therapeutic and I enjoy doing it now.

Final, Loyalty, FlawlessT and 4 others like this.
    Final, Loyalty, FlawlessT and 4 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  19. Nori

Jun 17, 2015
    Workout today was alright, had to cut it short since I wasn't feeling at my best. Running portion was fine but I am noticing that my knee bothers me more if I run slower, can't wait for the MRI so I can finally know whats up. I might go for a short run outside tomorrow as opposed to the treadmill, might help relax me and take my mind off things. If I do, I'll put up a vid.

Final, Loyalty, asvdawg and 3 others like this.
    Final, Loyalty, asvdawg and 3 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  20. asvdawg

Jun 17, 2015
    I can run fine on a treadmill but once I run outside I just cant run for as long I dont know why. Also running is the best way to relieve anger for me

Final and Nori like this.
    Final and Nori like this.
    Apr 26, 2024